The real estate industry is a unique and exciting field to be a part of. Whether you’re an experienced professional looking for a career change or a student deciding what path to pursue post-graduation, a career in real estate is sure to be dynamic and full of opportunity.
Still not sure if real estate is where you belong? The ERA Real Estate network pulled together these 10 signs to help you reflect on whether this is the right industry for you.
From Scott Wilkinson, broker/owner, Wilkinson ERA Real Estate:
- You have the drive to be your own boss. While technically (especially as a new agent) you will be working under a broker, you will still be responsible for determining your schedule, pushing through your leads, developing your network and ultimately making the sales. In order to be fully successful, you’ll need to cultivate your personal business style.
- You enjoy marketing. Real estate marketing is constantly evolving, with cutting edge tips, tricks and new platforms. Immerse yourself in understanding the ROI of marketing so you can choose the elements that are most effective for you and your market.
Sue Yannaccone, COO, ERA Real Estate, adds:
- You love a challenge. Let’s face it: selling real estate is not always a simple task. Whether your challenge is a home that’s lacking curb appeal, a market that’s not working in your favor, or simply a crunch for time, embrace it. Learn from your peers and mentors and enjoy the feeling of knowing you found a solution.
- You thrive in an environment with no ceilings. The sky’s the limit, and you’re reaching for the stars. Real estate offers the opportunity to grow continuously – whether your goal is to grow your business, expand your network or move up the ranks. If you’re someone who appreciates limitless possibilities, this is the industry for you.
- You are entrepreneurial. Beyond being your own boss, having an entrepreneurial mindset is key. The difference is in the level of strategy you put behind your decisions and the forward-thinking mentality you maintain.
Martha Rogers, agent, ERA Courtyard Real Estate, says:
- You have a well-rounded sense of self. A truly great real estate professional has a healthy balance of a desire to serve others, a respect for oneself and a willingness to follow good business practices. One or two of these characteristics will help an agent to succeed, at least for a while. But when all three are practiced together, a good agent will build a successful business that will prosper long term.
- You possess both tenacity and flexibility. Selling real estate requires a person to be persistent and even, at times, stubborn. However, at the same time, you have to be able to remain flexible when it matters – all because you have your clients’ best interests in mind.
From Lucinda Brasington, VP Operations, ERA Wilder Real Estate:
- You are solution-oriented. Excellent client relations and problem solving skills are of the utmost importance in real estate, because your clients are your network and your network drives the referrals that keep your success moving. Hopefully if you’re interested in real estate you inherently have a desire to help others, so let that shine through.
- You want to fully immerse yourself. While it is possible to sell real estate as a secondary career, new agents’ best bet is to jump into the business full-time to get their feet wet and absorb all the key learnings they can. This approach will set you up for success from the start.
- You maintain a positive outlook. As the saying goes, change is the only constant. That is particularly true when it comes to the housing market, so even during a downswing, radiate positivity and good things will come.