When it comes to home improvement, additions to the bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchen are popular—and pricey—upgrades. According to Remodeling magazine's 2018 Cost vs. Value Report, the average cost of a kitchen remodel is $21,198; the average bath remodel runs $19,134; and adding a bed and bath combined for a master suite totals $123,420.
The average homeowner in a recent survey by Trulia is budgeting (a realistic) $8,879 for a remodel this year—and according to Trulia's Design Panel, they can defray expenses and stay on-target. The best projects (for a steal!) are:
- Add storage (go the inexpensive route with shelving) and tile.
- Install modern plumbing.
- Replace the cabinets with a vanity.
- Add a rug. (A design and disguise element.)
- Brighten up with an accent wall and lighting.
- Get a high-quality mattress, but lower-cost linens and pillows.
- Add contemporary countertops and door knobs/pulls.
- Customize the pantry with storage.
- Give cabinets a facelift with new paint.
These budget-conscious improvements can keep you from overspending, the panel says, coming in, generally, at $10,000 or less for each room. It pays to spend wisely!
Trulia's Design Panel is comprised of experts in design, staging and storage.